Unmarried Partner Visa

What is an Unmarried Partner Visa?

An Unmarried Partner visa to the UK (Marriage visa) allows the applicant – non-British partners to live and work in the UK to join their long term Partner/Sponsor in the UK. Their cohabiting Sponsor/Partner in the UK must be a British citizen or a person present and settled in the UK, with indefinite leave to remain in the UK. There are also circumstances where applicant is eligible to apply with their Spouse/Partner is on limited leave to remain in the UK.

If you are not sure whether the Unmarried Partner visa is the right for you give us a call on 0203 7324736 or contact us online to discuss your individual requirements and how we can help.

What are the Unmarried Partner visa requirements?

In order to qualify for a UK Unmarried Partner visa you will need to satisfy and meet the following requirements:

There are several categories that may apply and there are specified documents that will need to be provided in order to satisfy the Unmarried Partner visa requirements, depending on your circumstances. 

visa solicitors in london
Immigration & UK Visas
Mr Singh has been incredibly helpful and supportive throughout my visa application. His prompt availability and quick responses to my queries has further helped me gather my thoughts and be more organisers throughout my experience with the home office.
Jasjeet Kaur
Sukhdev is very well-versed in his area and and has always been very helpful. Throughout he listened to us, advised us, guided us, and provided us with what we sought. Highly recommended, and thank you.
Dev Bhakar
Had a great experience with Mr Sukhdev Singh. He is very experienced and confident adviser and immigration lawyer.
I will highly recommend him and his firm. He will take all the stress away form you and make sure the paperwork is done the right way.
Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call us Today

How long does the Process Take?

On average it can take between 6 weeks for an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to consider your application and documents and decide to issue you a UK Unmarried Partner visa. In some case it can be longer and each case is considered in its individual merits. In some cases it can take a lot quicker depending on the case worker at the respective British High Commission, Embassy or Consultant.

Do I need to pay for the Immigration Health Surcharge?

All applicant (s) need to pay the UK NHS Surcharge, which is a separate fee from the Unmarried Partner visa application fee. The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) covers the initial period of the length of the visa. A separate fee is applicable for each dependant.

What happens if I am not working or I am on benefits or I am unable to meet the Immigration rules, can I still apply?

You may still be able to meet the requirements if you are not working or are on benefits or have sufficient savings to satisfy the financial requirements. You may still apply if you can show your separation to join your cohabiting partner in the UK, would be a breach of human rights and you are unable to continue your long term relationship from outside the UK.

How long is an Unmarried Partner Visa Valid For?

Your initial Unmarried Partner visa will be valid for 2.5 years and prior to its expiry, you will be eligible to apply for a further Unmarried Partner extension from inside the UK. If your application is successful you will be granted a further visa for 2.5 years. This is known as the 5 year route under the Immigration rules.

If you have any questions or need any help with your Unmarried Partner application, Call us Today

Can I work on a Unmarried Partner visa?

Yes, you are entitled to Work, Study, Open up a Business in the UK once the visa has been granted. The length of the grant of the visa is 2.5 years.

What happens if we decide to get married?

Once you are on an unmarried partner visa and you decide to get married, you will be entitled to apply for Spouse leave to remain in the UK, subject to meeting the relevant requirements of the rules –click here to see the Spouse visa requirements.

How do I apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa?

The Immigration Rules in particular the financial requirement of the rules are complex and require specified mandatory documents. If you require professional advice and representation, our Immigration Solicitors dealt with Unmarried Partner visa applications on a regular basis and assist the applicant and the UK Sponsor with full assistance and preparation to ensure that the Immigration rules are met for a successful outcome.

For Further Information or to talk to us, Contact us to discuss your UK Unmarried Partner visa application with one of our Immigration Solicitors in London on 0203 7324736 or complete the contact form.

Does an Unmarried Partner Visa Lead to Settlement?

Once you have completed 5 years as an Unmarried Partner of your long term partner, you will be entitled to eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. 

What happens if my application is refused?

If your application is unsuccessful and has been refused by an Entry Clearance Officer, you will be given a right of appeal to challenge and lodge an appeal against the decision to refuse your application for an Unmarried Partner visa to the UK. If this is the case, you can either lodge an appeal or submit a fresh application to address the ECO concerns. We have years of experience to help you with appealing against the decision to refused and will conduct a full assessment of the prospects of success or advice you submit a new application.

Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call us Today

Why our client’s instruct us and how we can help?

We are a Company of Experts for You. Our Friendly Team of Immigration Solicitors in London are experts in dealing with your entry clearance application for Unmarried Partner Visa to the UK.  We are here to provide you with honest and transparent advice at all times of the merits of your case.

Once instructed, please feel assured we will include the following:

  • Taking detailed instructions from you and advising you about the relevant immigration laws and procedures in your entry clearance application for an Unmarried Partner visa to the UK;
  • Assessing and checking your documents and evidence to ensure that your application fulfils the relevant requirements, if any documents are missing or additional documents are need
  • Advising you if any documents are missing or additional documents are required to support and strengthen your Unmarried Partner visa application.
  • Completing of your entire Unmarried Partner visa application process from start to finish
  • Preparing a representation letter to the Home Office as to why you qualify for an entry clearance application for an Unmarried Partner visa to the UK.