Registration of a Child as a British Citizen
What is Child Registration as a British citizen?
If you do not automatically qualify for British nationality, the Home Office allows you to apply for your child or children to be registered as a British citizen in the UK. The Home Office also offers a discretionary policy to grant you a Certificate of registration as a British citizen in the UK. You can then apply for a British passport.
What are the Requirements to apply for Child Registration as a British citizen?
You may be eligible to apply if you meet one of the following requirements;
- You were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you are not automatically a British citizen by birth, your mother and/or your father became British citizens or settled in the UK before your 18th birthday, and you applied for registration before your 18th birthday; or
- You were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you are not automatically a British citizen by birth, you were absent from the UK for no more than 90 days in each of the first ten years of your life, and you applied for registration at any time after your 10th birthday (you may therefore apply under this provision at any age); or
- You were born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983, at the time of your birth one of your parents was a British citizen by descent, that parent’s father or mother was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, at any time prior to your birth that parent had been in the UK for a consecutive period of at least three years, during that three year period that parent had not been absent from the UK for more than 270 days, and you applied for registration before your 18th birthday; or
- You were born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983, at the time of your birth one of your parents was a British citizen by descent, you apply for registration before your 18th birthday, you and your parents were in the UK on the day 3 years before the application is made, during the intervening 3 year period neither you nor your parents have been absent from the UK for more than 270 days, and both your mother and your father consent to the registration; or
- You have a connection with Gibraltar or Hong Kong
- Your stateless child
A Professional, quick and efficient service. I would definitely recommend this firm to others
Very good and professional. I’m very happy with their services. I will refer to anyone and everyone
Had a great experience with Mr Sukhdev Singh. He is very experienced and confident adviser and immigration lawyer.
I will highly recommend him and his firm. He will take all the stress away form you and make sure the paperwork is done the right way.
Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call us Today
How much is the cost of the Home Office application?
The Home Office application visa fee currently is £1,012 to apply to register for British citizenship.
Can the Home Office grant my application on a Discretionary Basis?
If you do not automatically meet the rules for registration, the Home Office can grant your Certificate of Registration as a British citizen on a discretionary basis. The Home Office will consider whether the child born in the UK or how long the child has live in the UK.
How long does the Process Take?
On average it can take between 2-4 months for a Caseworker to reach a decision on your application for your application for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. It some cases it can be a lot less and decided quickly..
We are Immigration Specialists here for you to assist your application for Registration as a British citizen, Call us Today
How can we help?
Our Friendly Team of Immigration Solicitors in London are experts in dealing with your application for Registration as a British citizen. We are here to help you every step of the way and deal with any concerns or questions from the outset you may have or what you need to do for your application for leave to remain in the UK to the Home Office.
Once instructed, please feel assured we will include the following:
- Taking detailed instructions from you and advising you about the relevant Immigration laws and procedures in your child’s Registration application as a British citizen to the Home Office;
- Assessing and checking your documents and evidence to ensure that your child’s Registration application as a British citizen
- Advising you if any documents are missing or additional documents are required to support and strengthen your application for Registration as a British citizen
- Completing of your entire application process and any information to process your application
Preparing a representation letter to the Home Office as to why your child should be granted Registration Certificate as a British citizen in the UK
For Further Information or to talk to us kindly contact one of Immigration Solicitors in London on 0203 7324736 or complete the contact form or email us. Thank you